TBM ONLINE

OUR ONLINE BIBLICAL LEARNING CENTER

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

WORSHIP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: WORSHIP   Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:19 am

Worship

Let us define “Worship”:

Worship- Means to have reverent love and devotion for a deity or sacred object, or the ceremonies and prayers by which this love is expressed. It also means to have ardent devotion; adoration for something…

Worshiped- To have worshiped something or someone means to honor and love it as a deity, to love it devotedly. Or you can worship by participating in any so called “religious” ceremony.

There are many ways that we can worship God, some good, some bad, it is up to us to do the right scriptural things. Let’s take a look in this study at the various methods people used to worship and how God has called us to worship…

Fact: Anything that you put before God is idol worship that could even be your job, or a hobby, etc. Make sure that God is 1st in all that you do!

What are some of the ways that they worship God in the bible???

Page 2. Worship

There are many ways to worship and as stated before not all are good. Let us look at some biblical examples and see the difference between the good and the bad ways.

Example 1. Genesis 12:7

“Then the Lord appeared to Abram and said, “I will give this land to your descendants.” And Abram built an altar there and dedicated it to the Lord, who had appeared to him.  After that, Abram traveled south and set up camp in the hill country, with Bethel to the west and Ai to the east. There he built another altar and dedicated it to the Lord, and he worshiped the Lord.”

Note: Abram built an alter in gratitude and worshiped God. His motives were pure, his heart had the right intent, and he was worshiping God not something else. It is not a sin to have a alter and worship there if it is for the right reason and uses!

Example 2. Genesis 21:33

“After making their covenant at Beersheba, Abimelech left with Phicol, the commander of his army, and they returned home to the land of the Philistines.  Then Abraham planted a tamarisk tree at Beersheba, and there he worshiped the Lord, the Eternal God.”

Note: Here we see Abram again, this time planting a tree- a tree symbolizes life, he is paying tribute to God literally through a symbolic gesture, there is nothing wrong with this either, we wear crosses on our necks to symbolize Jesus and his sacrifice. It is ok to do symbolic things; again, it is our motives, and who it’s tributed to…

Example 3. Genesis 26:23-25

“From there Isaac moved to Beersheba, where the Lord appeared to him on the night of his arrival. “I am the God of your father, Abraham,” he said. “Do not be afraid, for I am with you and will bless you. I will multiply your descendants, and they will become a great nation. I will do this because of my promise to Abraham, my servant.”  Then Isaac built an altar there and worshiped the Lord. He set up his camp at that place, and his servants dug another well”

Note: In this case it was Isaac who built the alter but what else was done here? A well was dug. This marked The Holy Place. See, there are various things throughout scripture that people have done, even Mary in the New Testament who used her hair and tears to wash Jesus feet. There is a descent and orderly way to do everything, so we must worship God in spirit and in truth, meaning, not how but why and who! (This rule applies in a sane way of course…We know within ourselves what is acceptable to God and not)

Key Point: What matters is who we worship and why we worship him, not how…

Page 3. Worship

We have seen a few positive ways to worship, what is it meant by negative ways????
Let’s look at some scripture:

Example 1. Jeremiah 16:11

“Then you will give them the Lord’s reply: ‘It is because your ancestors were unfaithful to me. They worshiped other gods and served them. They abandoned me and did not obey my word. 12 And you are even worse than your ancestors! You stubbornly follow your own evil desires and refuse to listen to me. 13 So I will throw you out of this land and send you into a foreign land where you and your ancestors have never been. There you can worship idols day and night—and I will grant you no favors!’

Note: This verse allows us to see that we can worship inappropriately by worshipping things that are not of God. In the bible Pagan religions worshipped Gods that weren’t even real, such as, a sun god. God was letting the people know since they refused to do as he commanded he was going to let them have their way. Remember the old saying “Be careful what you wish for”- this is a GREAT example of that!

Example 2. Hosea 9:10

“The Lord says, “O Israel, when I first found you,
it was like finding fresh grapes in the desert.
When I saw your ancestors,
it was like seeing the first ripe figs of the season.
But then they deserted me for Baal-peor,
giving themselves to that shameful idol.
Soon they became vile,
as vile as the god they worshiped.”

Note: This is another example of false idol but the first example was literally worshipping other imagined gods, this example is imagined gods but in statue form, they literally worshiped statues of various designs, such as, cows. We should see be starting to see clearly now the pattern explained previously of “it’s who and how you worship”…

Key Point: There is only one God to worship, and he should be worshiped with a pure heart!

Previously in this study we gave examples of good and bad ways that we can worship. God does not just tell us what to do; he tells us how he wants it done, what a awesome God!!! Let’s look at what the scripture says about our worship:

Page 4. Worship

Let’s look at Matthew 15:21-28, this is the story of a gentile woman, it reads:

The Faith of a Gentile Woman

21 Then Jesus left Galilee and went north to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 a Gentile woman who lived there came to him, pleading, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! For my daughter is possessed by a demon that torments her severely.”
23 But Jesus gave her no reply, not even a word. Then his disciples urged him to send her away. “Tell her to go away,” they said. “She is bothering us with all her begging.”
24 Then Jesus said to the woman, “I was sent only to help God’s lost sheep—the people of Israel.”
25 But she came and worshiped him, pleading again, “Lord, help me!”
26 Jesus responded, “It isn’t right to take food from the children and throw it to the dogs.”
27 She replied, “That’s true, Lord, but even dogs are allowed to eat the scraps that fall beneath their master’s table.”
28 “Dear woman,” Jesus said to her, “your faith is great. Your request is granted.” And her daughter was instantly healed.

Note: This woman had humility and respect when she approached Christ. She came to him with the right heart so Jesus allowed her to be blessed. When we come before God we are to come before him in humility and reverence. If we do not worship him in this way it will be in vain because he will not accept our worship.

Let’s look at one more example:

Matthew 28:9

“And as they went, Jesus met them and greeted them. And they ran to him, grasped his feet, and worshiped him.  Then Jesus said to them, “Don’t be afraid! Go tell my brothers to leave for Galilee, and they will see me there.”

In this passage we see again that worship is from the heart, a literal action, we must acknowledge Christ’s leadership and his sovereignty and come to his feet and worship him in truth!

Key Point: There is a proper way to worship, in spirit and in truth!

What are some ways that we can worship him today????

Page 5. Worship

Basic Worship Rules
2 Kings 17:35-39:

“For the Lord had made a covenant with the descendants of Jacob and commanded them: “Do not worship any other gods or bow before them or serve them or offer sacrifices to them.  But worship only the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt with great strength and a powerful arm. Bow down to him alone, and offer sacrifices only to him. Be careful at all times to obey the decrees, regulations, instructions, and commands that he wrote for you. You must not worship other gods.  Do not forget the covenant I made with you, and do not worship other gods.  You must worship only the Lord your God. He is the one who will rescue you from all your enemies.”

Worship Rule 1# Worship God Alone!!!

Psalm 29:2:

“Honor the Lord for the glory of his name.
Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness.”

Worship Rule 2# Worship not just him but what he represents!!!

Psalms 95:6

“Come, let us worship and bow down.
Let us kneel before the Lord our maker,
 for he is our God.
We are the people he watches over,
the flock under his care.”

Worship Rule 3# Worship him in humility and reverence!!!

GOLDEN RULE: John 4: 24

“But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way. 24 For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.”

We are to worship in “Spirit and Truth!”

Page 6. Worship

Questions

How do you worship God?

What are acceptable ways to worship God today?

What is something that we can call a false idol that we sometimes put before God?

What are some unacceptable ways to worship God today?

What does “worship in spirit and truth” mean to you?

COPYRIGHT 2010 TBM NATIONAL
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tbmonline.org

WORSHIP
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1